- You Are Here:
- Drought Alert
2015 Drought in Monte SerenoThe Governor of the State of California has declared a water supply emergency state wide and the Santa Clara Valley Water District has established a water use reduction target of 30% from 2013 usage.
In the City of Monte Sereno, water service for residents is provided by the San Jose Water Company, a private utility regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission. The San Jose Water Company has adopted the following to achieve the water use reduction target needed this year.
New rules effective June 15, 2015:
1. Customers must fix leaks, broken irrigation systems, or broken plumbing fixtures within 72 hours if notified to do so by San Jose Water Company.
2. Watering days: Do not water outdoors more often than two (2) days per week. Even numbered addresses water on Tuesday and Friday and odd numbered addresses as well as properties with no address water on Monday and Thursday.
3. No watering between 10:00 AM and 8:00 PM and irrigation cannot exceed fifteen (15) minutes per zone per day with exceptions made for zones exclusively using drip irrigation, low precipitation sprinkler heads that apply water at or less than 1.0 inches per hour, hose with a positive shutoff device, or hand held bucket or similar container.
4. No irrigation can occur regardless of method that results in runoff.
5. No use of drinking water for washing driveways, sidewalks, and other hard surfaced, non-porous areas.
6. No irrigation use for 48 hours after measurable rainfall (1/4 inch).
7. No washing of cars, buses, boats, aircraft, trailers or other vehicles, except at a commercial car washing facility that utilizes a re-circulating water system to capture and reuse water.
8. No use of potable water for construction purposes, including washing streets, backfill and dust control unless no other source of water or other method can be used.
9. Operators of hotels and motels are to provide guest with the option of choosing not to have towels and linens laundered daily and promptly display notice of this option.
10. No use of water for decorative fountains or the filling or topping off of decorative lakes or ponds. Exceptions are made for use of recycled water, or to sustain aquatic life, provided that such animals are of significant value and have been actively managed within the water feature prior to declaration of a supply shortage.
11. No use of water for the complete filling or complete refilling of swimming pools. ***Topping off of pools up to
one (1) foot is allowed. Leaking pools that need repair are exempt.****
12. No service of water by any restaurant except upon the request of the patron.
Please note that stricter requirements, water use limits, and penalties may be imposed if the required water use reductions are not achieved.
For more information, please visit the San Jose Water Company online at www.SJWater.com or call (408) 279-7900.